Tuesday, July 05, 2011

A LION IN THE MEADOW


Perhaps it is just as well I will be away from New Zealand  next Wednesday, 13 July, as Bethunes at Webb's are having one of their periodic auctions of rare books and related material. I was captivated by the cover of the sale catalogue, (email them if you'd like one - bethunes@webbs.co.nz), which is shown above. It is of course the cover of the School Journal Part One Number Three, 1965 in which  Margaret Mahy's famous story, A Lion in the Meadow, was first published.. Price estimate in $200. 

Other NZ children's books in the auction include titles by James K. Baxter, Alistair Campbell, Lesley Cameron Powell (Turi. The story of s Little Maori Boy), and Ans Westra while overseas authors include J.M. Barrie, Fank L Baum, Enid Blyton, Kenneth Grahame, C.S. Lewis, A.A. Milne and Alison Uttley.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh yes, tempting.
Even at my work plce we do not have that particular journal with Lion in the Meadow. [My favourite picture book if i am pressed.
Bookbrainz

Unknown said...

I have this book. I found it at my local op shop and paid 50 cents for it!