Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Author wins publishing deal after leaving manuscript on Richard and Judy's doorstep
A struggling author landed a major publishing deal for her first novel after leaving a draft copy on the doorstep of television presenters Richard and Judy.

Published: The Telegraph, 02 Apr 2010

Ruth Saberton, 37, composed her romantic comedy "Katy Carter Wants a Hero" (Orion) after moving from London to the countryside.
She based the story and characters on the people she met in the fishing village of Polperro, Cornwall.
 The college tutor sent the manuscript to several publishing houses but had no reply and was on the verge of giving up.
But when her mother-in-law mentioned that Richard Madeley and Judy Finnigan had a country retreat nearby she decided to take them a rough copy.
Mrs Saberton drove to their secluded house and placed a 400 page manuscript on the doormat and a note through the letterbox asking them to read it.
She was then stunned when Richard – who along with his wife hosted a regular book club on their TV show – phoned her and said he loved the novel.

Richard, 53, offered to write a foreword and allowed her to use their name when approaching potential publishers – and she soon secured her first deal.
Mrs Saberton, whose book was published yesterday, said: ''I was tearing my hair out trying to get a deal and was getting no luck anywhere. I'd nearly had enough.
''But then my mother-in-law told me Richard and Judy lived along the coast. I knew they're big book fans so I thought I'd drop them a copy.
''I felt a bit cheeky posting it through their door, and hoped they wouldn't mind too much. It was my last hope really.
''I couldn't believe it when Richard called. It was so exciting. I thought he would have just chucked it away.
"He arranged to come to my house and talk to me. He was in my living room and I had to do a reality check it was so surreal.
''It made all the difference and I got a publishing deal. It was a long shot but it certainly paid off.''
The full story at The Telegraph.

No comments: