Thursday, September 11, 2008

1001 FOODS YOU MUST EAT BEFORE YOU DIE

Theodora Sutcliffe, Editor - Penguin Books - $50

I love this superb series of books from Penguin. Recently I wrote about 1001 Wines You Must Try Before You Die which prompted Keri Hulme to suggest that while that was a fine book it was really the Food title that I must read. So I have now done that and I must say it is a cracker, totally mouth-watering, but as with the wine title I think I may have left my run a bit late!

At almost a thousand pages this is not a book you pick up and read from cover to cover, no, it is definitely one for browing and I have found the best time to do that is while having a pre-dinner glass of wine, it certainly whets the appetite.

One of the features of all the books in this series are the glorious full colour photographs on every page, shots from all over the world. My favourite so far is the picture of Turkish delight piled high at a bazaar in Istanbul, closely followed by a field of sunflowers. Memories...........

And for my New Zealand readers, yes, we get a look in with whitebait and feijoa and golden kiwi fruit. There may be more but that is all I have found thus far.

This is an utterly gorgeous book, the perfect gift for the foodies in your life.

Thanks Keri for the recommendation.

3 comments:

LiteraryMinded said...

I read the '1001 Books' one from cover to cover and added waaaaay too many books to my 'to read' list. I think the food one might make me very fat.
;-)
But I agree, they're a great series. love the art one too.

Anonymous said...

Oh dont you love that o-so-sanguine lobster waving from the pot! I'm sure the LLLL (ur, lobster liberation liability lawyers????)will get back to all us afficionados-

PrincessSteph said...

i'm contemplating challenging myself to look next year to tackle as many of these as possible. I like these books also. theya re great. I just picked up the 1001 Foods and already can't put it down. I just wrote about the book on my own blog and think that I might start to tackle the list this week. I'd be interested in your thoughts. thanks,

Steph

http://princessrantsandraves.blogspot.com/2008/11/1001-foods-you-must-tast-before-you-die.html