Sunday, September 21, 2008

Book Lover: Noelle McCarthy
NZ Herald story - Saturday Sep 20, 2008

Noelle McCarthy (left) is a journalist and broadcaster.

The book I love most... is Dracula by Bram Stoker. I first read it when I was 12 and I was completely transported. It's a bit of everything, kicking off with a fabulous travelogue before morphing into a terrifying ghost story and hurtling towards a madly exciting conclusion. Along for the ride are some loveably cartoonish characters. The real hero of the book is of course, the Count. He is an effortless seducer of everyone he meets, and easily the most compelling character in the book, with his flowery language, and flashy cloaks. Did I mention the mesmerising gaze and hairy palms? Threats to civilisation don't come much more suave.

The book I'm reading right now is... I'm at that stage where I'd much rather reread something I've loved, than something new. Lazy, probably, but there's such a different class of satisfaction that comes from reading something well remembered. The books by my bed are ones I pick up at least once a year and enjoy all over again.
Read the full piece at the NZ Herald online.

No comments: