Wednesday, August 13, 2014

How Edith Wharton led me on a long and winding road back to Henry James

Wharton's autobiography, A Backward Glance, shares a brilliant anecdote about a road trip with the Portrait of a Lady author that is full of twists and turns – and extremely long sentences

Tuesday 12 August 2014 -  

Henry James
A man of many words … Henry James. Photograph: Alice Boughton/ Bettmann/Corbis

I have not read Henry James for years. As I've admitted previously, I've not much of a memory for books, no matter how much I enjoy them, so this is what I retain of James: very disturbing small children, in a story wrapped within a story that I loved (The Turn of the Screw). Italy, Madame Merle, unbearably irritating heroine (The Portrait of a Lady). Most of all, though, extremely long sentences.
I am very much minded to return to him as soon as possible, however, after I was pointed by a good friend towards this new blog post from the Edith Wharton Society, which quotes Wharton reminiscing in her autobiography A Backward Glance about a trip with the great man. Apologies to those who might have already seen it: I hadn't, and it has filled me with affection for James.

First of all, while "motoring in the west country", Wharton and her husband are entreated by James to let him guide them into Malvern, as he once spent a summer there and believes he will be able to find his way to their hotel.
More

No comments: