Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Reading Festival: Eleanor Catton’s snapshot of her childhood reading





9289274
Eleanor Catton has written two wonderful novels for adults. She lives in Auckland where she teaches creative writing at Manukau Institute of Technology.  This year her second novel, The Luminaries (Victoria University Press), won one of the biggest book prizes in the world, The Man Booker Prize (and actually it is the longest book to win ever!). Lots of New Zealanders watched the award ceremony live on TV and I am sure the country rocked with all the clapping and stamping and whooping. I cried! I reviewed the novel for The NZ Herald and I loved every bit and bite of it. It is a glorious read. Here is my review.
Like Margaret Mahy was, Eleanor is a very humble and generous person. That kindness is a shining light in their writing.

I decided to invite Eleanor to share her reading life as a child with us, as I know behind all the world’s great writers is a sparkling load of books. The great thing about the titles she has shared, there is sure to be one you haven’t read yet.

Let me know if you have read one of the books in Eleanor’s list and tell me what you think of it. I have a few spot book prizes.   Send to paulajoygreen@gmail.com. Include your name, age, year and name of school.

More

No comments: