Friday, November 22, 2013

Bookstore Cat Submits Résumé

Shelf Awareness

Position Wanted: Bookstore Cat Submits Résumé

"I am Dr. Lazarus Pinkbottoms, and I've been a shop cat for about 10 years. I'm writing today to inquire about working as your bookstore cat." That is the opening to a feline résumé featured in Cleveland Scene (and "translated" by author Dan Wilbur).

(Melville already has a job, at Battlefields & Beyond bookstore.)

Noting that his prospective employer currently runs "a nouveau chic bookstore," Dr. Pinkbottoms offers a few helpful "tips on how to make your store better," based on his 10 years' experience in the book trade. 

These include: "First, I've noticed your store is cleaner than the previous owner's shop and I'd gladly take the reigns as cat dander and dirt provider.... Second, the lighting: it's too bright.... Third, the books are ordered too rationally." Dr. Pinkbottoms is "ready to transform your store into veritable chaos."

No comments: