Thursday, November 21, 2013

'Fifty Shades of Grey' author E L James on the film: 'I'm terrified'

By

E-L-James.jpg
Image Credit: C Flanigan/FilmMagic

Best-selling author E L James doesn’t give many interviews these days, but she agreed to sit down in Beverly Hills with EW last week, as part of our cover story on the film version of the first book in her trilogy, Fifty Shades of Grey, to discuss all that casting controversy, the intensity of her fans, the criticism of Christian Grey’s backstory, and her hopes for the film. She proved to be as direct and unfiltered as her books are, beginning with how she’s feeling about the new movie.
E L JAMES: I’m terrified. Completely. I’ve been terrified from the moment I published the book.  My mother was terrified of everything, and so am I. It’s a terrible way to grow up. You don’t expect this kind of success. Even now it floors me. My only ambition for the books was to see them in bookstores. This is huge. And there is this passionate fandom; we need to get this right for them.

Do you think fans will hold you responsible if they don’t like the movie?
Oh God, of course they will. They hold me responsible for everything.


Do you read all the online commentary?
I don’t. It kind of freaks me out. I’ve avoided reading most of the stuff for a long time for my own self-preservation.


Yet, you still feel responsible to them?
I do. Especially coming from a [place of] fandom myself. It’s such a weird place to be. What I’d really like to be doing is sitting down in a little room writing my next book. I miss it so much.

No comments: