Saturday, November 02, 2013

Ann Patchett: By the Book

Published: October 31, 2013 - The New York Times

After the novelist, memoirist and author of “This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage” read “Charlotte’s Web” at age 9, she became so obsessed, she got a pet pig: “That’s impact.”

Ann Patchett - Illustration by Jillian Tamaki



What’s the best book you’ve read so far this year? 
Anthony Marra’s “A Constellation of Vital Phenomena.” And all the books I mention below. It’s been a great year for reading.

Describe your ideal reading experience (when, where, what, how). 
In the best-case scenario, I know nothing about the book, and reading it is my sole obligation. For example, I read J. K. Rowling’s “The Casual Vacancy” as a pile of paper because I was going to interview her. I thought that book was brilliant. When it came out and got such middling reviews I was mystified. I felt so lucky to have had my own experience with it. I recently read Donna Tartt’s novel “The Goldfinch” the same way, 800 pieces of paper and no explanation of what was coming. I stayed on the couch for three days and did nothing but read. People have such high expectations for Donna’s novels because they come around so rarely, and she knocked this one out of the park. 

Is there anything that especially inclines you to pick up a particular book — are you swayed by covers, titles, blurbs, reviews, what your best friend has to say? 
I’m swayed by everything, which is why it’s nice to read a book as a pile of paper every now and then. A well-written rave review always catches my attention. Baz Dreisinger’s review of Jim McBride’s “The Good Lord Bird” was so convincing that I went straight to the bookstore and bought myself a copy. I’m pleased to report that McBride deserved every bit of the praise. I also read two great reviews by Barbara Kingsolver this year — one of Karen Joy Fowler’s “We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves” and the other of Elizabeth Gilbert’s “The Signature of All Things.” I thought that Kingsolver, who loved both books, was right on the money. 

No comments: