Tuesday, September 02, 2008

MAN BOOKER PRIZE LONGLIST
EIGHT DOWN, FIVE TO GO

THE ENCHANTRESS OF FLORENCE
Salman Rushdie – Jonathan Cape - $36.99

The first thing I noticed about this book, after admiring the magnificent cover, was the dedication – it is to Bill Buford.
Not sure why that surprised me, they are both notable literary figures, but somehow it did.

This is a challenging, and at times I must say a somewhat bewildering read, but my goodness what an achievement. You can put your bottom dollar on it being shortlisted.
At the end of the book is an impressive five page list of books and articles that Rushdie read prior to and during his writing of this his 10th novel.

Set largely in India, near Agra, and in Florence it is both historical fiction and highly imagined fantasy. One learns much about life in the harems of India and the brothels of Italy.

Essentially it is the fairytale adventure story of Ago Vespucci, a Florentine, who claims a blood relationship with the emperor of the Mhugals, Akbar, an absolute monarch who would like to unite all of India. The book is especially populated by beautiful young women, queens, and irresistible enchantresses. Most are real, some are imagined.

A huge achievement, but it will not be to everyone’s taste.

Right now I’m off to read From A to X by John Berger, a mere 200 pages, to be followed by Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh which runs to almost 500 pages! Then a 700 page whopper, A Fraction of the Whole, a first novel by Australian writer Steve Toltz.
The other two long listed titles I have yet to acquire- Girl in a Blue Dress by Gaynor Arnold, and The Northern Clemency by Philip Hensher. Probably just as well as the shortlist is out in a week and I suspect I’m all out of time! Especially as I have the Christchurch Writers Festival between now and then.And before I fly south I must read the new Kate Atkinson novel...........

3 comments:

Rachael King said...

You mentioned the "impressive" list of books Rushdie read to write this novel. I often wonder why authors feel the need to do this. Perhaps it is just that - to impress. Or is it to somehow prove to readers (and themselves) that they have the authority to write the story you've just read?

Authors do read a lot when they write books. It's called research. I think it's much nicer to keep that sort of information as a mystery, to keep the magic of the novel writing process. Others may disagree, in fact I'm sure they do!

Beattie's Book Blog said...

I'm inclined to agree with you Rachael. I suspect Rushdie is showing off somewhat with his huge list but also he may be covering himself by acknowledging these books as he may have lifted ideas or historical facts or legends from them.

Beattie's Book Blog said...

Thanks Paul, I will be attending the Festival and look forward to meeting up with you guys again, this time on yoir home patch.
You will have to educate me re technorati and tags!
Good reading,
Ciao, G