Friday, August 03, 2007


LLOYD JONES & THOSE MONTANA NZ BOOK AWARDS

In my reporting on Tuesday on the Montana NZ Book Awards I suggested that Lloyd Jones may have been somewhat less than gracious in his acceptance of his big prizes.

This has drawn several responses from persons who were present, two of which follow:

I think you misread Lloyd Jones’s acceptance speech: I heard him say he ‘couldn’t take many more competitions’ to mean the build up was too hard on the nerves. We certainly put our authors through a great deal and expect such a lot from them. I know from experience that most find the whole award event an ordeal. And as Lloyd said when he thanked the judges – how do you compare apples with oranges, as in a novel with a book of poems.

Lloyd talked to our conference the day before: he was himself. He talked about what it was like to get the Commonwealth Prize, how he sat and grinned at the tv set for an hour when he found out. He thanked the book trade for their support. He said some intelligent and thought provoking things. He was himself.

One of the things I enjoy most about the Montana Awards is the writers’ speeches: they’re all so different. They’re usually overtaken by the moment. And rather than read a prepared speech many speak from the heart. I like this. It’s best when they’re just themselves.

And

Agree with you about Lloyd, by the way: although I suspect it was more
social awkwardness and things just coming out a bit wrong, rather than
actual ingratitude.


No comments: