Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Bugs receives special Honour Award at NZ Post CYA Awards

Press Release -24 June 2014

The novel Bugs (Huia Publishing) by Whiti Hereaka received a special mention last night at the NZ Post Children's and Young Adults Awards.

In the Young Adult category, although 'Mortal Fire' by Elizabeth Knox was found to be the eventual winner, the judges found it difficult to separate the top two novels.

'It was incredibly challenging choosing a winner in the Young Adult category but we felt that Bugs deserved extra recognition', the judges said. 'Bugs is a powerful story with emotional impact that stuck with us long after we had finished reading the book. The honesty of Bugs in particular really resonated with us. Whiti Hereaka captures the teenage voice so succinctly in her characters.'
'I was quite shocked,' said Whiti. 'After they'd announced Elizabeth Knox and Mortal Fire the winner, I felt a sense of relief that I didn't have to make a speech. Then they announced an Honour Award for Bugs! I just hope I thanked everyone.'

Whiti is now taking time out to write full-time. 'I have a couple of stories that I'm working on - one is another young adult novel and I'm also working on a story around a Maori legend.'

With another award to add to a growing list of past achievements, Whiti is likely to be back at the NZ Post CYA Awards before too long.

No comments: