Saturday, January 04, 2014

Morrissey to write a novel after scoring a hit with memoirs

Following the success of his 2013 Autobiography, the Mancunian singer claims he is midway through his first novel


Morrissey autobiography book signing
Morrissey talks to fans at a book-signing event for his autobiography in Gothenburg, Sweden, last October. Photograph: Adam Ihsel/EPA

If you thought Morrissey's recent autobiography was the sum total of his literary ambitions then think again: the singer claims he is already midway through his first novel.


The comments came during a Q&A with his fansite True To You, in which Morrissey was asked if he would ever considered writing a novel. He replied: "In 2013 I published my Autobiography and it has been more successful than any record I have ever released, so, yes, I am midway through my novel. I have my hopes."


Although no details are shared as to the content of said novel, the singer's move into the literary world seems to be fuelled by his difficulties in the music industry. In particular, the star claimed that radio will no longer play his songs. "The actuality is that radio stations will not play my music, and the majority of people have lost faith in the music industry," he said. "It's generally assumed – quite rightly – that the number one chart positions are 'bought' by the major labels, so there really is no passion left in pop or rock music, and I don't think people believe for an instant that the faces we constantly see on television and in magazines are remotely popular."


Such comments have not dissuaded Morrissey from continuing with music, however. He also revealed during the interview that he is about to start recording a new album, which will feature a new song called Istanbul. "It is second to Rome as my most favourite city in the world," he said. "When I'm in Istanbul I feel as if I could never die. My life is matched."


This being a Morrissey interview, it wasn't all about his output. Morrissey took the time to call for a complete ban on circuses, to suggest that music can bring vegetables to life ("and I should know because I'm a vegetable") and to ask why Jamie Oliver doesn't "stick one of his children in a microwave". He also offered this very Morrissey-esque take on life: "We all – without exception – end our lives in tears. Very few people die in a fit of hysterics on a ferris wheel."

No comments: