Monday, January 13, 2014

Disappear into the world of your book - Dunedin author Vanda Symon on summer reads

Dunedin crime writer Vanda Symon talks to the Otago Daily Times about summer reads.

Vanda Symon
Vanda Symon
1. What is your ideal summer reading scenario?

My favourite summer reading scenario involves happily reading in the company of family, everyone chilling out after having shared a lovely meal and engaged in relaxed pursuits, whether that be kids playing, board games, quiet conversation or reading. Where everyone is contented and no-one minds if you disappear into the world of your book. Heck, even better, someone would regularly bring me a cuppa or a cold drink. Heaven!





2. What is your favourite book to re-read in the summer, and why?
Confession time - my favourite re-read in the summer involves reacquainting myself with my best friends Jamie and Claire, the main characters in Diana Gabaldon's Cross Stitch. It is the first book in her Outlander series and my favourite. I think every friend I know who has read this book has fallen in love with Jamie ...


3. What books are on your reading list this summer, and can you say a little about them?
I recently had the pleasure of being a guest in Melbourne to present the Davitt awards in crime fiction. I was very fortunate to come home with a copy of the winners in each category as well as a number of books I succumbed to at the book shop. Australian crime fiction is so strong, and they have many fabulous writers. Can't wait.


4. What is your favourite book for your journey to a summer holiday destination, such as being on a plane?
For my family summer holiday, destinations tend to involve long road trips. I love these and will treat myself to a latest release novel if the journey is before Christmas, or dive into any books that appear under the tree if travelling after the festivities. I am one of those fortunate folk who can happily read in the car, although not when it's my turn to drive! 

No comments: