Monday, August 06, 2012

A Lion in the Meadow

 The little boy said,
"Mother, there is a lion in the meadow."
The mother said,
"Nonsense, little boy".


I spent a fruitless hour last week hunting for my copy of this wonderful Margaret Mahy story. Walking past the Village Bookshop at Matakana on Saturday though I spied it in the display of Margaret Mahy titles in the window so I raced in and bought another copy. Bookseller Tracey said there had been a steady demand for all the Mahy titles since Margaret's death and that mine was the 6th copy she had sold of A Lion in the Meadow over the weekend.
Bravo, it is a truly delightfull picture book that should be in every home.

2 comments:

TK Roxborogh said...

ah, but this edition is different to the first. Margaret told us once that the original ending was: And the mother never told stories again. (or something like that). The US publishers didn't like that ending so she changed it to what it is now. Margaret said that she thought one day those first edition books would be worth some money. Damn it but I threw out my 'old ripped' copy of the Lion in the Meadow and bought a brand new one for my children.

John McIntyre The Children's Bookshop , Wellington said...

She also said she regretted changing it, but the pressure on a new author keen to stay on side with her "income stream" was the major reason.