Saturday, September 08, 2007



MR.PIP IN BYRON BAY

Book covers have always fascinated me.
Way back as a child in Gisborne I used to stand in front of the window of Eastwoods Bookshop (sadly long gone) and gaze at the books and marvel at their covers, everyone different, unlike the readers we had at school.

Today my interest in covers is stronger than ever and I am endlessly fascinated, and sometimes amused, dismayed or delighted with the manner in which different publishers treat cover designs for the same title.

This came home to me again today while I was browsing in the small but excellent Byron Books on the corner of Fletcher & Marvell Streets in Byron Bay when I observed the display of Lloyd Jones award-storming title Mr.Pip. Melbourne based publisher, Text Publishing acquired the Australian rights in this title from Penguin Books NZ and not only have they changed the format but they have, of course, given the book a different cover treatment.

I decided to buy the Text Publishing edition, and I will now try and get hold of the US & UK editions as well so that I have a “full hand” of covers for Mr.Pip.
My bookseller here in Byron Bay immediately commented on the cover when I went to purchase the book and said how much she preferred the New Zealand cover.

I’ll post them both here on the blog and you can decide for yourselves which you prefer.

And of course publishers on opposite sides of the Atlantic very rarely use the same cover for titles, and in fact in some cases, mainly on the US side they even change the titles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree - it is really interesting looking at different cover designs by international publishers for the one novel. I was surprised to read Denis Welch in this week's culture vulture describing our cover as "downright dull". I beg to differ but, for my money, the stand-out dull-as-dishwater cover prize for Mister Pip must surely go to the Random House (US) edition (see www.misterpip.com). A truly unpickupable object if there ever was one. I think the John Murray (UK) solution is the best of all the editions I've seen so far. It balances loads of colour with a fitting sense of mystery and anticipated revelation.