Monday, September 19, 2016

Most-shared books: the favourites we give again and again

 

Whether for birthdays, words of comfort, or World Book Night, here are the books we can't stop giving

    
 
 
 
 
 
 

Your must-share books: which ones really draw you in?
Your must-share books: which ones really draw you in? Photo: Andrew Fox / Alamy
While doing my tax return, I totted up the number of books I had bought last year and counted a whopping seven copies of Winifred Watson's 1938 novel Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day.
Seven! I hadn't bought them as replacements (although my future mother-in-law serendipitously gave me a copy for my birthday), but as gifts. Miss Pettigrew's adventures in 1930s London have soothed heartbreak and homesickness; marked birthdays and been sent "just because". It's got to the stage where I dole out my favourite like medicine.
MORE 

No comments: