Tuesday, February 23, 2016

How can I wean my son off Wimpy Kid re-reading?

Is there anything wrong with an eight year old re-reading the same books over and over again? The book doctor thinks not, but also offers some tempting alternatives


Zachary Gordon and Robert Capron
Zachary Gordon and Robert Capron in a scene from Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days. Is there any harm in re-reading the books endlessly? Photograph: Diyah Pera/AP
My eight-year-old son’ s independent reading has taken off by virtue (or not) of the diaries of the wimpy kid. He is now re-reading them for the third time. I have tried the latest David Williams book, and classics like The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe but they have all been rejected for another re-read of Greg’s adventures. I want to retain the interest in books and reading alone that has been kindled by these books which seem adored by children, less so by parents. I also want him to stretch his vocabulary. Can you recommend any books which follow on nicely from this series so that the independent reading may continue and progress?
More 

No comments: