Friday, November 08, 2013

Are books better than films?

'Films can bring whole worlds to life before our eyes, make characters into living, breathing flesh and blood, but books let you LIVE everything'

Percy Jackson And The Lightning Thief.
Percy Jackson: are the books still the best? Photograph: Michael Muller

I went to see Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters with the Spinebreakers. We all needed to write something on the film and our views on it. I did my research first. I re-read the book, made numerous notes, wrote down everything I wanted to see in the film and brought a notebook into the cinema with me, ready to jot down my thoughts as the film played out before me.

The film was amazing – seriously, it blew me away. It was so, so much better than its prequel, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, and stuck so much closer to the book – something that obviously made me exceptionally happy.

The people who worked on the film... they got a lot of things right. They got the characters, the world, the creatures, the feel all right. They changed the plot, of course, and missed various things out, adding others in their place. But this didn't matter – Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters was absolutely stunning.
So why am I so obsessed with the things they changed? Why am I so much more in love with the book than with the film?
The same thing happened with The Hunger Games. They got almost everything exactly right, but it still... it didn't have the same feel to it. The suspense and emotion just didn't project from page to the screen. 
More

No comments: