Tuesday, November 12, 2013

5 War Books You May Not Have In Your Library


Anyone interested in war has read Michael Herr’s Dispatches, Matterhorn, and others, but what about these 5 books recommended by Jake Tapper? Doubt it.

I read war books before I started writing The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor, but I dove into them during that project. (The paperback version came out last week.) I am as in awe of Dispatches, Matterhorn, and The Things They Carried as the next person, and I assume those interested in reading about war have libraries containing Hemingway and Heller. Blackhawk Down, We Were Soldiers Once…, A Rumor of War, Where Men Win Glory, War —I will assume you have those. But here are some war books that may have slipped by you that you should consider for your library if they’re not there already.



Deeds of War
By James Nachtwey

Deeds of War by James Nachtwey
‘Deeds of War’ by James Nachtwey (Photographer), Robert Stone (Introduction). 168 p. Thames & Hudson.

Nachtwey, one of the world’s most skilled and sensitive photojournalists, travels from Sudan to El Salvador, Northern Ireland to Haiti, to chronicle the madness of what we do to each other. “I have been a witness, and these pictures are my testimony,” he says. “The events I have recorded should not be forgotten and must not be repeated.” And yet they have been, over and over, from torture to the senseless slaughter of children. The pictures, taken in the 1980s, have aged well and become even more complex; I’m thinking of one in particular from 1986 of Afghan mujahedin praying during a break from fighting the USSR.
More

No comments: