Thursday, April 11, 2013

SciFi version of 50 Shades of Grey ?

Freelance publicist Raewyn Davies has a rave -

Hugh Howey is being touted as the SciFi version of 50 Shades of Grey’s EL James (but this guy can actually write as the Guardian in London points out).  And I have to agree although the likeness is because of the way he’s been skyrocketed to bestseller status not the subject matter!  His book, WOOL,  started life self-published online and went on to sell over 250,000 copies just by word-of-mouth.  Originally just a novelette, the demand from Amazon reviewers sent him scurrying to write more tales, people read it and loved it.

From Hugh, ‘Originally just a novelette, the demand from Amazon reviewers sent me scurrying to write more tales in this subterranean world… All I could think of was that I had thirty or forty Amazon reviewers clamoring for more to read. I was getting emails from people demanding more from this world. On November 1st, I started writing the second Wool story.’

‘Three months later, I had to quit my day job. The demands on my time were too much. I was selling in a day what I had gone gaga over selling in all of October. In January of this year, I wrote Wool 5, which is the length of a novel at 63,000 words.’

Raewyn continues: Then picked up by Random House and released as one novel, Wool was released in NZ in December, the new book (a prequel to Wool) Shift is being released in April 2013.
 I’m not a scifi fan at all but I’ve just finished his first book Wool and really enjoyed it and am now reading new book Shift.

Ridley Scott (Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise, Gladiator, Hannibal, Black Hawk Down, Numbers, The Good Wife and the list goes on) has now snapped up the right to Wool for a movie.

But the other thing his previous life is fascinating as well.  After he left college he left his hometown on a boat and sailed South. He hopped around the islands for a while, went through two hurricanes,  then headed back to the States and began a career as a yacht captain for the rich and famous. He travelled all over the East coast and Caribbean, from Barbados to Chicago, worked on boats in New York, the Bahamas, even Canada.  
 
And again from Hugh “Working in New York had me surrounded by stars. Bill Clinton, the Rockettes, the cast of Sex and the City. But those days hardly seem glamorous looking back. My time in NY was ended on 9/11. The boat I was living on had a permanent dock at the base of the World Trade Center. All of that horror took place directly overhead, and I spent the day ferrying people off Manhattan and bringing rescue workers over from New Jersey.’

It was while working on a yacht that I met my wife of 11 years. We had an amazing trip together from Antigua to Florida. For two weeks, we had a 74' yacht to ourselves. We swam with whales, jumped off waterfalls, and fell madly in love with one another.

And back to the book, the wraps just keep on coming:
Rave reviews in Guardian, Independent on Sunday, Sunday Express, SFX magazine, Irish Times
picked by many majors as a hot for 2013, Sunday Express, Live magazine, GQ UK, Seven magazine
and he is already a NYTimes bestseller and Amazon top five author.

Footnote:
The Bookman is not a sci-fi reader at all but in view of Raewyn's huge enthusiasm for WOOL I am going to give in and read this one ! Who knows, I may become a convert.

 

 .

 

No comments: