Thursday, January 17, 2019

New Bookshops, increaed sales in New Zealand

From Shelf Awareness 

Booksellers NZ gained seven new members last year, bringing the organization's total membership to just under 200, including all Paper Plus and Take Note community franchise stores. In addition, there was an uptick in sales figures, with 1.6% growth in value and 3.5% in volume for 2018 compared to 2017, according to Nielsen Book.

Another Chapter

"We have seen a decided increase in the number of new bookshops over the past year," said Booksellers NZ CEO Lincoln Gould. "While the likes of Little Unity is clearly owned by a well-established bookshop ownership team, we have Another Chapter in Newtown, Wellington, Petronella's Bookshop in Lake Tekapo and the Twizel Bookshop, all of which were opened by booklovers with no previous experience in the sector.

"We are also seeing greater confidence in independent bookshop ownership particularly, with several of our members moving and expanding their shops over the past year, namely Poppies Howick, Almo's Bookshop in Masterton and Book Haven in Newtown."

Renee Rowland said she opened the Twizel Bookshop in South Canterbury after a busy corporate career because it was "just time to start honoring what I loved and was good at instead of trying to fit into something else. I love knowing for the kids in this town, having a bookshop is normal. My 10-year-old self would be proud of me. And I no longer need to curb my enthusiasm. Owning a bookshop does not feel like work. It's just a fun and interesting thing I've created and get to do every day, something to feel proud of and satisfied by."

Lorna Bingham, a former nurse who opened
Another Chapter Bookshop opposite the Wellington Hospital, said, 'I opened Another Chapter to provide an inspiring space for staff of and visitors to the hospital to be able to have a little time out from busy caretaking roles to be able to enjoy browsing & buying books, cards and gifts. I have enjoyed amazing camaraderie since setting the shop up. I am filled with joy because I am living my dream, and my customers have been really positive about the space and selection of books."

Booksellers NZ observed: "We believe that booklovers of New Zealand are gradually coming to understand the value of the bookshop in their own neighborhood. They know they employ local people, they curate their bookshops with their customers in mind, and they are most importantly, wonderful places to be. This is the future of our retail environment."

No comments: