Thursday, August 13, 2015

Dance of the Happy Shades by Alice Munro – a place familiar but lost

My grandmother also came from small-town Ontario, and my memories chime with Munro’s tales of passionate girls and women with stifled passions

Alice Munro walks along the eastern shore of Lake Huron.
Alice Munro walks along the eastern shore of Lake Huron. Photograph: George Waldman/ZUMA Press/Corbis
There are the books we take on journeys, and the journeys we take through books. It is a long time since I’ve been to the shores of Lake Huron, Ontario; specifically to my grandparents’ cottage in Inverhuron, where we used to go every summer. I remember driving for hours through farmland, passing Amish families in buggies, seeing the water appear on the horizon, watching our dog twitch his nose and sit up as we turned down the bumpy dirt road that led to the cottage.

This is Alice Munro country, although I didn’t know it then. I discovered her stories at university, and became obsessed with Lives of Girls and Women, Something I’ve Been Meaning to Tell You, Who Do You Think You Are? – all published before I was born. Why had she not been required reading in high school, alongside other Canadian titans of letters – Margaret Atwood, Robertson Davies, Margaret Laurence? Her first collection, Dance of the Happy Shades

More

No comments: