Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Why there are no taboos in Scandinavian children's books


Norwegian writer Ingelin Røssland takes a look at the liberated Scandi children’s and teen lit scene, where explorations of sexuality and explicit swearing escape censorship – and explains why so many Scandinavian adult authors such as Jo Nesbo feel liberated to write honest, brave and dark children’s books



Ingelin Rossi
Ingelin Røssland: ‘Books for teens exploring sexuality with explicit language are not censored. It’s so normal for us. There is nothing I can’t cover as a teen writer.’ Photograph: Joar EM Klette

I believe in the liberty to write about anything for any audience young or old. That is something very special, to be able to sit down with the freedom to write exactly the story that is burning inside of you and get it published.

In Scandinavia there are no taboos when it comes to writing, even for children and young people. Books for teens exploring sexuality with explicit language are not censored. It’s so normal for us. There is nothing I can’t cover as a teen writer and I know my publisher would stand by me no matter what. 

More

No comments: