Friday, August 28, 2015

'Bookstores Are Magical Places'

Shelf Awareness


"If you love books as much as I do and you want to surround yourself with likeminded people, go work in an independent bookstore. Bookstores are magical places. You get to meet authors and discover new books all the time. I also learned how sometimes great books thrive and other equally beautiful books can sometimes wither on the shelf. 
I quickly gleaned how subjective the world of books can be. This armored me with very humble and realistic expectations as I entered the publishing arena with my own book. 
I had a completed draft of my memoir when I started working at Book Passage, and I decided to put it in the proverbial drawer for a year so that I could focus on other books and writers. This turned out to be a great plan. Two years later, I met my agent during an event I was hosting."

--Melissa Cistaro, author of Pieces of My Mother and bookseller/events coordinator at Book Passage in Corte Madera, Calif., in a Huffington Post interview

No comments: