Thursday, December 11, 2014

Malala at Nobel: My Story Not Unique


  1. Suzanne Plunkett/Reuters
    While speaking at the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony Wednesday, 17-year-old Malala Yousafzai said, “I tell my story, not because it is unique, but because it is not. It is the story of many girls.” Malala was shot in the head by the Taliban in 2012 for pushing for education rights for women. She was awarded the prize along with Kailash Satyarthi, an activist working to end child-trafficking and labor. 

  2. In a touching personal note, Malala admitted, “I am pretty certain that I am also the first recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize who still fights with her younger brothers. I want there to be peace everywhere, but my brothers and I are still working on that.” Her ceremony was briefly interrupted by a young man with a Mexican flag who pleaded with her, “Please, Malala... Mexico.”

No comments: