Wednesday, December 03, 2014

'Being homeless is better than working for Amazon'

Nichole Gracely has a master’s degree and was one of Amazon’s best order pickers. Now, after protesting the company, she’s homeless

Nichole Gracely was once one of Amazon’s order pickers. Now she’s homeless.
Nichole Gracely was once one of Amazon’s order pickers. Now she’s homeless. Photograph: Chris Radburn/PA
I am homeless. My worst days now are better than my best days working at Amazon.
According to Amazon’s metrics, I was one of their most productive order pickers – I was a machine, and my pace would accelerate throughout the course of a shift. What they didn’t know was that I stayed fast because if I slowed down for even a minute, I’d collapse from boredom and exhaustion.
During peak season, I trained incoming temps regularly. When that was over, I’d be an ordinary order picker once again, toiling in some remote corner of the warehouse, alone for 10 hours, with my every move being monitored by management on a computer screen. 
More

No comments: