Friday, May 09, 2014

Topless Pulp Fiction Appreciation Society takes off

New York book club inspired by 'good books and sunny days and enjoying both as nearly in the altogether as the law allows'

     Thursday 8 May 2014

Topless book club
Off-the-top shelf … a meeting of the Outdoor Co-ed Topless Pulp Fiction Appreciation Society in Central Park, New York

I am not a member of a book club – perhaps it is rooted in the days of my education, but I just feel that I'd hate having to read something by a certain time. However, I am loving this week's slew of articles about New York's Outdoor Co-ed Topless Pulp Fiction Appreciation Society, a book group which loves "good books and sunny days and enjoying both as nearly in the altogether as the law allows".
As it's sunny in New York, they've been stripping off all over the place, most recently "the rooftop sundeck of a nude-friendly, gay-friendly, everything-friendly boutique hotel", where they read books "from hardboiled crime yarns to ancient-astronaut tracts to the indescribably glorious ABRAHAM LINCOLN, PRESIDENTIAL FUCK MACHINE". 

"Conversation ensued … Photos were taken. Relaxation was had. Why can't every Saturday be a naked-with-friends-in-the-sun Saturday?" they write on their blog.
I'm not entirely clear why reading and toplessness go together, but I can't help but warm to the evident fun the book group is having in the pairing (check out the pictures on their blog – although possibly not while you're at work). I emailed founder A Andrews to ask what was behind it all; she told me that "four summers ago, my best friend and I were talking about the law in New York that says women are free to go topless anywhere a man can, and about the fact that no women ever did. It clearly wasn't because no woman would ever want to – when it's 90 degrees outside, who wouldn't rather be bare-chested than suffering under a shirt and bra?
More

No comments: