Monday, April 15, 2013

This week on NZ Poetry Box and Holiday Challenges

 

This week we are still playing with list poems. Today, though, I am going tell you about the school holiday challenge. On Tuesday it's time for poetry play, on Wednesday I will post list poem by Elena de Roo and John Parker, on Thursday I will post my favourite poems from the list-poem challenge (and the winner) and on Friday I will post a poem by a secondary-school student (fingers-crossed!).
NZ Poetry Box is a blog aimed at students up to Year 8 but some secondary students have started following it. So here is your chance. I challenge you to write a list poem (Year 9 to Year 13). Catch up on what Bill Manhire says about list poems (April 11), check out my tips (April 9) and get writing! Send to paulajoygreen@gmail.com by Thursday 5pm. Include your name, age, year and name of school.
 Next week the school holidays begin and I would love to post at least a poem a day by a child. This is a safe site for young children and a perfect place to play with words during the holidays. I am happy to post your letters and comments. Get Mum or Dad or Gran to help you.

I will give you some mini challenges throughout this week -- but as a holiday challenge you could try one of Bill Manhire's ideas that he posted last Thursday.  Send your poems to paulajoygreen@gmail.com. Include your name, age, year school. Include your teacher's name and email if you like. Say it is for the holiday challenge.
Here are Bill's ideas. I want to try them too!
1. Try imagining what it's like to be something else, and write as if you are that something else. Maybe you could be an elephant that's sick of being in the circus. Or an iceberg that's melting. Or an asteroid that's about to hit the earth. Or maybe you could write a conversation (or a love poem!) between a stalagmite and a stalactite.
2. Write a brand new nursery rhyme, and put your best friend in it.
3. Write a poem where every line begins with the words "I remember", but every memory is made-up.
During the holidays, I would also love to post ideas from teachers and parents on writing poems. A single idea or two in a paragraph or two.
Paula Green

PO Box 95078 Swanson Waitakere 0653


 

No comments: