Friday, April 12, 2013

Launch of Singing with Both Thrtoats


A large crowd from as far away as Northland and Wellington attended the launch of Maris O'Rourke's first poetry collection Singing With Both Throats at the Gus Fisher Gallery on April 9th.

 David Ling Publisher introduced the evening as follows:

“Maris and I were at Auckland University together a long time ago. When finally we all went our separate ways most of us lost track of each other.  I was aware some years later that Maris had become the first Secretary for Education in New Zealand but until recently didn’t know that she was also the first Director of Education for the World Bank and worked on the education systems of 50 or so different countries.

Then, as she says, since leaving that position she has reinvented herself as a poet – and as a long-distance walker. Her walk on the pilgrim trail from France over the Pyrenees and across Northern Spain to Santiago de Compostela became the inspiration for her children’s book Lillibutt’s Big Adventure which we published last year – and have just now released in paperback. I’m delighted to say too that Claudia Pond Eyley who illustrated Lillibutt, and whose work features on the cover of Singing With Both Throats is here with us this evening.

Those who know Maris know that she doesn’t do thing by halves. Before Christmas she told me she was going up to Cape Reinga in the holidays and I suggested she drop in on us at our bach at Cable Bay on her way back. No, she couldn’t do that, they were heading down the other coast – walking, walking, all the way back to Auckland. And they did. While pre-Christmas I was dreaming of lying on the deck with a glass of wine close at hand, Maris and Greg were planning to walk the length of 90 Mile Beach then over numerous mountains and up riverbeds, through paddocks and around headlands all to re-emerge in Auckland about six weeks later. I found it a lot easier to drive.

Finally, Maris is always alarmingly positive and cheerful – she is very aware of this as these three lines from one of her poems show.

Once at a staff meeting our boss said

I’m going to tell you all something bad and,

Maris, I don’t want you to find any good in it.”

Poet Siobhan Harvey then spoke about Maris and her poetry using her review from Beattie’s book blog as a framework.

Welcome everybody.
Thank you David and Maris whose combined endeavours have made this evening and this book happen.

I've worked as a New Zealand Society of Author's Mentor for 6 years, and the great wonder of being a mentor is finding one's self companioned through the year of a mentorship by a mentee who is willing to learn, eager to develop their work, push boundaries, take on board constructive criticism and act in a professional manner throughout. In Maris, I found someone who was all of these things. The journey we went on thereafter has resulted in this wonderful, visually vibrant new collection of poems.

Before I discuss the book, however, I would like to acknowledge that the journey to its publication was one Maris also went on with the stellar writers in her writing group. I know Maris will thank these people herself, but I wanted to do so too, to underscore the value of writing groups to writers and this writing group’s amazing achievements. So to the members of Maris' writing group: Sue Fitchett, Zarah Butcher-McGunnigle, Judi Bagust, Deborah Jones and Rosetta Allan, I say a deep thanks.

So to Singing with Both Throats. I'd like to conclude with the following:

Singing With Both Throats takes as its’ motif, thematic and visual, that New Zealand ornithological icon, the tui and its capacity to resonate from two voice-boxes, a concept which O’Rourke utilizes to explore duality in many forms – biculturalism; the dynamics of child-adult relationships and so forth. The examination of cultural and personal doubling is seen vividly in poems like those dedication to her early life experiences, ‘Fire Alarm’ and ‘Engagements’, and later, in works of belonging such as ‘Harakeke’ and ‘Aotearoa: a Sonnet’.

The most impressive, lasting poems, though, are those incantations to survival like the epic, ‘Lifelines’ which stretches over 6 pages and 16 parts and ‘Spells To Tame Children’ which opens with the kind of sting and parental dysfunction one can’t help but be confronted by and self-reflective in light of,

 Wear the pram tyres down to the rim; throw in stones and stories as you walk.

Weep in the bath at the never-ending task; drink gin and tonic tears.

Collectively, what you get in Singing with Both Throats is a book as raw as it is accomplished, the poet’s past lives and enduring obsessions informing the arresting imagery and insight, and providing a template for narrator and reader to intersect personal history, poetic travelogue and a survival-map. The result is a work of bite, beauty and intrigue.

In this vein I salute Maris for the book she has written, and I say to you gathered her to celebrate this launch, buy it, buy it, buy it!"

Maris concluded the evening by backgrounding and reading five of her poems.

"Kia ora everyone. Every year I like to do something new, something different and something that gives me a 'frisson of fear'. In April 2008, at exactly this time of year, it was 'Poetica' a course with Siobhan Harvey through Community Education at Auckland University. After the first day I knew I had found something difficult, something different, something challenging and something that I could do for the rest of my life. And after the second day I visualised myself standing here with a poetry collection in my hand! And now here I am courtesy of Amanda Lyne of the Auckland Alumnae who organised this lovely venue and friends and publishers David and Nicky Ling. David by the way wants you to know this is the first - and last - book of poetry he will publish! I’m sure it’s nothing to do with me.

Of course no-one does something like this alone and I've been fortunate to be in a group of marvellous women poets not afraid to make you go ‘ouch’ and ‘eeek’ with critiques - and make you rewrite. Also gaining Siobhan as a mentor in 2010 through the NZSA mentor programme. And the lovely supportive Laurice Gilbert - National Coordinator of the NZ Poetry Society who made me inaugural poet in 'a fine line' and is here tonight from Wellington and by the way has recently launched a very good collection of her own work. And, of course, that long-time supporter of emerging poets Alistair Paterson who made me Guest Poet in Issue 44 of Poetry NZ. Plus of course all the others who read, rejected, published and placed my work and let me read at various venues and events.

My sister and I had a difficult, peripatetic often violent childhood which is definitely easier to survive when shared and I wrote this poem War Survivors for her about our childhood.

This got me to thinking about my own sons childhoods - what had it been like for them? So I interviewed them - a rather traumatic thing to do actually - and Spells To Tame Children is the result. It is in couplets contrasting the 'good', nice, conventional person we expect mothers to be with the 'bad', different sometimes slightly mad mothers we can be.

Well despite all that you'll be happy to know they grew up into darling men and this next poem Echoes came from a comment Dominic made while he was flying helicopters in Kaikoura and taking people out to see whales and he said 'Mum - do you think there are still whales around who remember whaling? It's also Paddy's favourite poem.

I have always travelled a lot for work and play (and remembered to return!). Last year the 'Awesome Foursome' - as our kids call me and my long-term women friends - travelled overland from Beijing to Berlin by train. I wrote this poem Beijing Boys as a result of an encounter on that trip and concerns I have about the general lack of regard for girls in many countries.

Finally I've been fortunate to find my place of belonging, my place of standing, my turangawaewae here in NZ and this next work Aotearoa is a sonnet - which is an ideal form for a love poem.

So to my friends and whanau a profound thank you - I am so grateful to wake up to you all every day. Enjoy the evening everyone and buy the book!”

Footnote from The Bookman.
Sadly my picture file has "broken down" and I am unable to upload the cover image and photos taken at the launch. When I get back to NZ (presently in UK) I hope to have the problem fixed and will then add the pics.

No comments: