Saturday, May 15, 2010

AN HOUR IN THE LIFE OF C.K.STEAD


This was going to be my last session of the day but along with 37 others I was turned away when the House Full sign went up. However I have a friend in there whom I am hoping will write a report for me tomorrow at which time I will add this to the blog.
In all the Festivals I have attended over the years in the UK, Australia and NZ this is the first time this has happened, history has been created. I see this as a positive thing, huge numbers turning up at this Festival, record numbers I suspect.In future I will be turning up much earlier for each session.
Author photo by Brendon O'Hagan - Sydney Morning Herald.

PS - Sunday am
 - a report from my friend who did manage to get into the Hour with C.K.Stead:

On Saturday afternoon, crowds were turned away from the Festival session that featured novelist, critic, and poet C. K. Stead in conversation with emeritus professor Mac Jackson from the University of Auckland.  The subject was Stead's new memoir SOUTHWEST OF EDEN.  Jackson brought out the best in Stead.  For, despite his sometimes fierce public persona, Stead can be and was yesterday witty, self-aware, engaging with the audience.  And the three readings--covering school straps and VJ day, raising and dreaming about chickens, and the meanings of the word 'bugger'--led to frequent waves of laughter through the audience.  A great session with a big line-up outside for Stead to sign the memoir.

No comments: