Monday, June 27, 2016

My 10 Favorite Books

T Magazine

My 10 Favorite Books: Laurie Anderson


For his bookshop and website One Grand Books, the editor Aaron Hicklin asked people to name the 10 books they’d take with them if they were marooned on a desert island. The next in the series is the musician and artist Laurie Anderson, who shares her list exclusively with T.
Photo
“Within the Context of No Context,” George W.S. Trow
It’s hilarious and dangerous. Dead-on analysis of what makes America so big: the physical size the country, the size of the economy, the size of the con. Good summer reading that gives a context to “making this country great again.”
“The Tibetan Book of the Dead”
The most visual language of any book I know. Which is odd since this is a book about the bardo — the disintegration of the self and the transformation of energy. I love the imagery and it reminds me that every minute of life is the bardo!
“Moby Dick,” Herman Melville
Melville is master of the jump cut. I fell in love with this book. The words were songs, the flow embraced the way we actually think. Backtracking, looping, jumping. But here’s a tip: if you’re thinking of making a multimedia opera from your favorite book, don’t do it! I tried it and didn’t
have the nerve to rough it up. I never took off the white gloves. So obviously it didn’t work out
MORE

No comments: