Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Why Reading Is Essential

HuffPost Books



The following is Walter Mosley's introduction to "Best American Nonrequired Reading 2013" [Mariner Books, $14.95].

When asked to write the introduction for "Best American Nonrequired Reading 2013," I was at first stumped and a little mystified. The potential palette for such a collection seemed so large, unwieldy, and subjective that I wondered how any specific presentation could do it justice; I mean, what is meant by the best, after all? When I talked to the managing editor, he told me that my relationship to reading was what the editorial staff, and readers in general, would find most interesting. 
This added request, requirement, or desire only served to increase my consternation. Reading is such a personal and private activity that, in some ways, it seemed impossible to talk about with any shared sense of truth, verity. Continue reading...

No comments: