Saturday, July 20, 2013

Kevin Powers: By the Book

Published: July 18, 2013 - The New York Times

The author of “The Yellow Birds” says Philipp Meyer’s novel “The Son” has “as much to say about what it means to be American as any book I’ve ever read.”
Kevin Powers - Illustration by Jillian Tamaki
What’s the most important book you’ve read this year?
Philipp Meyer’s “The Son,” without question. I was able to read an advance copy. It has as much to say about what it means to be American as any book I’ve ever read.

If you had to name a favorite novelist, who would it be?
It’s a difficult question. One of the reasons I love the novel is its openness and diversity. “To the Lighthouse” and “Infinite Jest” belong to the same strange category, which is partly why it’s so exciting as a form. But I return to José Saramago’s novels quite regularly, and I’ll be in line for Cormac McCarthy’s next book whenever it comes out.

And your favorite poet?
That’s much easier. Larry Levis.

Who, in your view, is the most overlooked or underappreciated writer?
I’d have to say Larry Levis again. His work is certainly admired by many, but I think he deserves to be more widely read. As for novelists, I’m surprised that Stephen Wright doesn’t get more attention. His sentences are staggeringly beautiful, and his imagination is so strange and wide-ranging.

What kinds of stories are you drawn to? Any you steer clear of?
I like to be surprised, so I don’t avoid anything. I’m attracted to the evidence of a mind at work, which can manifest itself in so many different ways. 

No comments: