Friday, May 03, 2013

Owen King and Joe Hill on Their New Novels, Sibling Rivalry, and Stephen King’s Shadow


Owen King and Joe Hill.

This week, Joe Hill (born Joseph Hillstrom King) released his fourth book, a 700-page horror story called NOS4A2. In March, his brother, Owen King, published his first novel, Double Feature, about a young filmmaker grappling with disappointment after his first movie falls apart. The two books couldn't be more different, but what their authors have in common, of course, is that their parents are Stephen and Tabitha King. Vulture spoke with the guys about their writing approaches, how they've learned to evade (and live with) their parents' shadows, and who beat up whom as a kid.

Owen, aren’t you doing an event in Joe’s area?
Owen King:
 Yeah, I’m doing something at River Run Books in Portsmouth [New Hampshire].
Joe Hill: I’m sorry I’m not gonna get to see it: He’s doing a scene that involves an extended description of masturbating with dish soap, and I’ve got my boys and I felt like that might be a tough one for the 10-year-old.
OK: Yeah … I was actually just racking my brain about something else I could read.
JH: I’m imagining my 10-year-old saying, “Daddy, why is he doing that to his foreskin?” Those are the kinds of conversations I’m uncomfortable with at this stage in my parenting. 


More

No comments: