Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Bookseller Gillian Newman retires


On Monday evening one of NZ's finest, long-serving booksellers was farewelled by Philip King along with staff and customers of UBS Canterbury. 

Gillian Newman has decided to retire and she was farewelled in appropriate style surrounded by books, friends and colleagues in the store where she has worked for the past 10 years.

Phiip King has kindly made his address available to me and here it is in part:


"Gillian has shared with me, and her work colleagues her at UBS, 10 years of loyal and dedicated bookselling experience. Her role has been that of Assistant manager, book buyer, book promotions and events co ordinator.

 Gillian is one of NZ’s great identities within the NZ Bookselling scene. I have come to rely upon her intuition, have constantly trusted her judgement, and have always valued her opinion.

She has spent her working life in the world of books. She is perhaps first and foremost an active promoter and reader of children’s literature- both local and internationally.  Her depth of knowledge extends fare and wide- local and international. Twice she has been convening judge of the NZ Post Children’s Book awards. One of my abiding memories of Gillian will be that of watching her read to various groups of small children, when they have accepted her invitation to visit to UBS.
They sat cross legged on the floor, eyes wide open, enthralled and excited at being read a story outside of the normal classroom/ library atmosphere.   Our UBS reputation, in having one of the best children’s book selection in NZ, is in no small part thanks to you Gillian.

Gillian has travelled extensively- her travel emails to me from France or the UK, are full of the various bookshops that she has called into. Some already familiar to me, and some she urges me to visit. She inevitably returns from her travels with various bookshop paraphernalia, and ideas that she can adapt to our store.
She is a regular  attendee at International and Local book fares – London, Bologna, Chicago, Hay on Wey, to mention but a few.

Gillian is a constant reviewer of books on radio; an active promoter of all things literary; a book festival organiser; a member of various book trusts and festivals; co-ordinator of UBS book club; NZ Poetry Day supporter.
In short, Gillian is a consummate bookseller, one with whom customers constantly seek an opinion, on a certain author or title. She is what we call in the book trade a ‘hand-seller’ off books.

So tonight we say adieu to Gillian but know she will remain a constant and welcome visitor to UBS in the future although she plans to spends the next twelve months travelling.
Gillian be assured your Christchurch whanau will always remember the many happy times, spent conversing with friends around the dinner table,  constantly chatting over literary topics, and of you at the bookselling desk you occupied here at UBS for the past 10 happy years. " 




Left - Gillian with editor Anna Rodgers
Right - - Gillian with Sarah Lovell-Smith








Left - Louise Crisp, Random House South Is. rep.

Right - 
 Quentin Wilson- editor and book designer with Robert Delamare




Author Gavin Bishop and Professor Patrick Evans

And here is Gillian's response:


I consider myself extraordinarily lucky. Nearly 30 years ago I walked into UBS Otago and convinced Bill Noble to employ me. It was the start of a life in bookselling that I could have only dreamed about. As a child my happiest times were with my family, and when surrounded by books, either in the home, library or bookshops. I had the same view then that many of our customers do – that sitting at a desk, reading, listening to classical music and talking ideas and literature to like-minded people was a genteel occupation I would love to aspire to. Naturally I discovered a lot more goes into being a good bookseller. The real thing, whilst it has components of those elements, is very different, but rewarding and exciting nonetheless. It's where I have most wanted to be working for all these years.

I'm lucky too, to have such wonderful friends. There are so many people in this room to whom I owe a huge debt of gratitude. Being first at UBS Otago, then Canterbury, has given me two extended families, so my first deeply felt thanks go to Bill Noble for having faith and starting my bookselling career, and then to Philip for also having faith and continuing it, and for their endless support and generosity.It is with their help and encouragement that I have been able to participate in the organisation of so many writers festivals, events, readings and promotions. When I was raising my children in a fairly isolated part of Otago it was reading and. the radio that kept me sane. I would dream then of one day taking an active role in this amazing world. It was a dream come true that I did. I have been so fortunate – travelling to Europe, England and America to go to festivals and attend conferences and to meet many of the writers I so admire.

I feel it's impossible here for me not to mention Richard, for whom I came to Christchurch and who I take with me in my heart everywhere I go, and my children - Matthew, James, Joshua and Charlotte, who have always been involved in my literary life and who, I am glad to say, all live in homes full of books.

To others of you – you know who you are! The wonderful reps – good friends I hope to continue seeing.... Louise, Jennie, Clare Catherine and Jeremy....my bookclub friends, all of you from both clubs. Louise, Sally, Jeff Rob,Judy, Lorraine, Lesley, Julia,Rachel and Kate.... We have had such great talks and times ...The Shoal Bay community headed by David and Ros, and peopled by such lovely friends.. The writers, without whom none of this makes sense, - to Jeffrey for shared experiences about our fathers, to Rachael, Fiona,James, Gavin, Patrick and Bernadette. 

To Bev, Quentin, Anna,Brian and Kim and for extraordinary support and friendship …...to Morrin and Ruth, Robyn and Jeff, Doug, Jeanette, Vivien, Glenn and Trish, ditto. I could not have survived these last difficult times without Michael and Joanna or Rob and Shirley. And thank you Judy for selling my house, Anton proves the comment about extended family. And last but not least, to my colleagues here at UBS Canterbury. To Tracy and Marc for patiently helping me with technology, Jane for being such a calm and happy influence, Pene, cookery book expert, Natalie, busy in the backroom, Vicki for all those times you looked after my car and picked me up at the airport, Joan for sharing my love of children's literature, Bella and Nicole, Saturday stalwarts and most recently Josie who is picking up the literary mantel and doing a great job. Sarah deserves special mention for all the times we have prepared food for launches sharing ideas and fun, experiences and friendship .If I have not mentioned you please forgive me -you know how important you have been.

I will miss you all. 


And then her farewell poem:


It's sad - and it's happy to be here right now
On this evening where I take my last bow
From a life-time of bookselling and promoting reading
In fact, of course, it's an addiction I've been feeding!
I've worked and mixed with the very best
It's been a pleasure, a veritable fest.
The folk in this trade are vital and creative
They love literature, both foreign and native.
It's never felt work to do what I've done
Sometimes exhausting, but always fun.
The writers, ideas, festivals, events
In bookshops, libraries, schools,even tents
Have been life-blood to me and my friends
So you can be sure this is not where it ends!
I hope to see you. Wherever I go
There'll be room for friends, you all should know
Thank you everyone, for being here
And for sharing in what I hold dear.
Keep ion touch, I will too.
And again. sincerely, thank you, thank you

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nearly thirty years ago I was sitting on the counter stool at UBS Otago as Gillian transformed the children's section into a mysterious territory where reading became an adventure rather than a way to pass a drizzling hour. She was and is inspiring.

David Howard