Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Advice to aspiring writers: never give up

Aspiring writers should never give up, says Tom Canty, who had to deal with months of unemployment and a chronic medical condition before he was finally published.
Paul Canty, author of Clapham Lights: now a writer, not a write-off
Paul Canty, author of Clapham Lights: now a writer, not a write-off 

If you’re going to quit your job, there are better times to do it than two weeks before the biggest financial crash in living memory. For two years, I had been working as a copywriter and event tester for a stag weekend agency. It might sound like fun but it was a dead-end job. After what felt like thousands of quad biking write-ups, I was concerned my mind was turning to jelly.

So I resigned and confidently told everyone that I would either find somewhere amazing to work (like the UN, NASA or Tesco Express) or write a novel. I had an English degree, a decent portfolio of work and recruitment agents were calling incessantly. A new, better-paid job would be a formality, wouldn't it?.
Eight months later, Britain was in recession and I was unemployed. In all that time I’d had one unsuccessful interview and two of the recruitment agencies I used had closed down.

Was I unemployable? I had a degree no employers wanted (a 2.2) from a university no recruitment consultants had heard of (UEA) and my most recent job involved racing go-karts and too many weekends in former Soviet bloc states. I considered ditching my actual experience and claiming that I’d been in prison since 2001 for a crime I didn’t commit. At least it would give the HR person reading my CV a good laugh before they threw it in the bin.

I was getting nowhere and had to move out of London and back in with my parents. I locked myself away with creative writing books, wrote some (bad) short stories and planned a novel. When the plan reached 10,000 words, I felt confident enough to start writing. 
More

No comments: