Saturday, December 05, 2009

The Story of Another Manual Typewriter's Journey by Carol Hoenig, author of the multi-award-winning novel, "Without Grace."

After reading the article in the New York Times about Cormac McCarthy donating his Olivetti manual typewriter, one on which he wrote countless manuscripts, perhaps even his Pulitzer winner, I couldn't help but recall my first typewriter, a manual Smith & Corona, the color of a placid Caribbean sea. But I wouldn't have known that then, since I rarely traveled much further than beyond the small, rural town where I was raised on a farm in Upstate New York.

I was about ten years old when an aunt gave me a banged up metal typewriter that I'd unearthed from a toy box in her house. My excitement was soon quelled, though, when I discovered that the paper wouldn't lock in place; but that didn't matter because the ribbon was pretty well used up, anyway. Still, there was something about linking words together that had a hold on me and I would sit in my bedroom with piles of scrap paper and write poems and stories in longhand for hours. So when other girls were asking for Barbie dolls, I was wishing for a typewriter, one that would actually tap out a world of my own creation. Imagine how thrilled I was on my fifteenth birthday when I received that second-hand Smith & Corona as a gift

Read the full story and a lot of other entertaining stuff too at The Huffington Post.

No comments: