Saturday, September 26, 2009

NZ TITLES TRANSLATED INTO CHINESE ?

The Bookman received the following letter from Dr.Lida Wang, a Chinese immigrant who is interested in translation work and possibly acquiring Chinese rights in NZ titles for publication in China.
If any of my blog readers have an interest in this idea please communicate directly with her - e-mail address below. And I have a copy of her CV that I can forward to anyone wishing to see it.

Recently I read your book reviews on your blog. From your blog, I learn that you are an expert in the publishing area.
I have a full time job as a lab technician now, but I would like to work in the publishing industry . I got a job offer as an editor in a Chinese publisher house before I moved to New Zealand in 2001. For personal reason, I did not accept that job offer.
Now in New Zealand to become an editor seems impossible as English is not my native language, but I still want to do something in publishing.
As a mum of two girls I tell bed-time stories to them every day and find there are a lot of fantastic picture books in New Zealand, also there are other topic awesome books.
So I would like to translate popular New Zealand books into Chinese and publish them in China, although I understand I need to know abut copyright.
To achieve this goal, I read some books in publishing and copyright including “Buying and selling rights in literary works: a practical guide for publishers in the people’s republic of China” written by Lynette Owen.
But I have not practical experience. I do not even know where I should start, - to work in a publisher house or to study a qualification, attend training courses.?
I wonder if you can give me some suggestion to help me make my dream come true.

Anyway thank you very much for your time. My CV is enclosed.
Looking forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,

Lida Wang (PhD)
lidawang@clear.net.nz

No comments: