Friday, July 03, 2015

Deperate Literature, Madrid's new bolthole for book lovers


The homely bookshop sells used English language books, plus works in Spanish and French, but it’s also a place to hang out with a cup of tea or glass of wine



Desperate Literature bookahop, Madrid
Desperate Literature bookahop, Madrid

Ten years ago, when I first moved to Madrid, I bought my English-language books at a secondhand bookshop in dusty Calle Campomanes. Then life got busy and I opened an Amazon account. Recently I was on Calle Campomanes and I passed my old bookshop. It now has lemon trees out front and a new name over the door: Desperate Literature.

The shop’s new owners are the born-again booksellers behind Atlantis Books on Santorini, Greece, and Book Thug Nation in Brooklyn, New York, and it’s lovingly managed by Charlotte and Terry, a Frenchwoman and a Yorkshire poet, both ex-employees of the famous Shakespeare and Company bookshop in Paris.
More

No comments: