Saturday, July 05, 2014

The Writer Who Made Me Cry On the Ride to Work

                                       By Pronoy Sarkar | Friday, July 04, 2014  - Off The Shelf


 One evening, I was listening to a podcast of novelist Margaret Atwood, who observed, “Because what is writing, what is writing in a book, what is a page? A page is essentially a score, like a musical, or it’s a score for voice.” I was struck by it. 
Just a few days later I came across a story by T.C. Boyle called the “Relive Box.” I was reading it one morning on my way to work. I usually read during my commutes. I don’t remember anything that morning other than I arrived in time and without mistake. Even though I have to switch trains, I don’t remember doing so. What I do remember is that I was crying when I arrived. It had been a long time since a story had made me feel so vulnerable. 

That weekend, I went to one of my favorite bookstores and purchased, blindly, East Is East, without recommendation or forethought because I needed to read more T.C. Boyle, and I figured anything would do. I was right. I was hooked. - 

More

No comments: