Sunday, November 02, 2008

MORE BOOKS

My Link bus trip into the city was quicker than expected the other night so on the way up to the Gus Fisher gallery for the launch of Linda Olsson's Sonata for Miriam (Penguin $37) I slipped into Unity Books to fill in 10 minutes. Big mistake.

Out I came with A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens in the recently release Puffin Classics series at the bargain price of $10, and also from Penguin in their Great Ideas series, Books v Cigarettes by George Orwell, this one for $12, originally published in 1946 for 3/6d. May be some while before I get to read this latter one because of the growing pile of books to be reviiewed before Christmas (8 weeks away!) but A Christmas Carol is next in line for me to read aloud to Annie at bedtime. Seems an eminently suitable title for this time.

No comments: