Thursday, November 02, 2006

E-book reaction

This response to my brief piece earlier today on the
e-book:


I work in the heady world of academic publishing, which is one area in which the e-book has had every chance to thrive - and hasn't. Across the world, every time students are offered the chance to have chapters online, the majority of them head for the 'print' button. It's not that there isn't enormous potential for digital publishing & uses for new technology in the publsihing world, it's just that the obvious 'take book; clunk it onto a screen' approach doesn't work. The codex has been a useful, compact, portable, cheap, reliable media form for a few hundred years now, and I don't think that's going to change any time soon.

1 comment:

Mistress Regina said...

This is of special interest to me because I have my finger in both worlds of publishing. In terms of blogging, I think perhaps we should consider what we may do in terms of mutual benefit. I will look for word from you.