Monday, April 20, 2015

One Summer in Venice


What a great weekend read but oh how it filled me with a great longing to return to that wonderful ciity of canals and narrow lanes and wonderful food. Pellegrino lived there while researching this her latest (8th) novel and clearly got to know the place well.
Her protagonist, London cafe owner Dotty Martinelli, is suffering something of a mid-life crisis so takes herself off to Venice for the summer and she falls in love with the place.

This is her near the end of the book:

"When I left Venice at the end of the summer I would miss all of this, the people and the place. I'd miss the water and the way it changed from nearly grey in the mornings to a glossy green, then entirely black at night. I'd miss walking down the streets so narrow I almost had to turn sideways. I'd miss the gondolier sitting on the bridge who never seemed to work but who always sighed and said a hopeful buongiorno; the graceful bridges and the sun-baked campi, and the great sweep of the Grand Canal".

I know just how she felt because that was how I felt by the time I finished this enjoyable novel.I have been to Venice several times but only ever for 2 or 3 days at a time. This book has made me want to experience a visit of several months!



The author has posted on her Facebook page a number of photographs taken while she was in Venice  and here is one of them which sums up my memory of being in that intriguing city.

One Summer in Venice
Nicky Pellegrino
Orion - $34.99

And a note from the publisher:
.
Nicky will be doing two evening events at the Leys Institute in Ponsonby. Don’t miss the opportunity to see her in person talk about One Summer in Venice.

THE 29 APRIL EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED. PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR ADDITIONAL EVENT DATE. 
AUCKLAND
AN HOUR WITH NICKY PELLEGRINO
DATE: WEDNESDAY 29 APRIL
TIME: 6.00 – 7.00PM
VENUE: THE LEYS INSTITUTE LIBRARY, 20 ST MARYS BAY, PONSONBY 
Light refreshments provided. Free event but bookings are essential. Sparkling wine provided courtesy of Glengarry Wines. Books will be available courtesy of Paper Plus.
Please RSVP: At Leys Institute Library or phone 09 374 1315

*NEW EVENT ADDED*
AUCKLAND
AN HOUR WITH NICKY PELLEGRINO
DATE: WEDNESDAY 06 MAY
TIME: 6.00 – 7.00PM
VENUE: THE LEYS INSTITUTE LIBRARY, 20 ST MARYS BAY, PONSONBY 

Light refreshments provided. Free event but bookings are essential. Books will be available courtesy of Paper Plus.
Please RSVP: At Leys Institute Library or phone 09 374 1315

No comments: