Sunday, April 19, 2015

Finding My Passion for Nancy Drew at the Library






By Sara Tomlinson    |   Friday, April 17, 2015  Off the Shelf
Kids are not known for their self-control. When I was little, if given the chance, I would gorge myself on Swedish Fish—or, more often, Wha Guru Chews, the health food–sanctioned candies my mom actually allowed me to eat. And whenever I sat down and started reading, I couldn’t seem to stop.

Especially when I was supposed to be doing my chores.
For a brief, heady time when I was seven or eight, my book binge of choice was Nancy Drew. Of course, it’s a natural human instinct to want to know whodunit. But there was something more that kept me coming back. Nancy Drew was my first experience of reading not just as a bedtime activity that could delay my inevitable war with insomnia, or something done in school for a grade. 
But rather, reading as an enchantment, reading as an almost narcotic compulsion so pleasurable it could make time and space disappear, reading as a perfect hideaway.

But I intuitively understood new books required two things we didn’t have in abundance in the 740-square-foot house my mom and stepdad built for us in the woods of mid-coast Maine: money and space. Not to mention that the nearest town, which was eight miles away, wasn’t even big enough to have a bookstore in those days,... READ MORE




No comments: