Wednesday, November 12, 2014

David Hill: Book reviews a transfusion for life-blood of printed word

A louse on the locks of literature was how one reader described this book reviewer.
Photo / Getty Images
A louse on the locks of literature was how one reader described this book reviewer. Photo / Getty Images
This marvellous piece from David Hill appeared in the New Zealand Herald yesterday, 11 November:
I've had an email from Ian Braddon-Parsons, disapproving of my November 1Herald book review of Alexander McCall Smith's Emma.
Mr Braddon-Parsons pointed out that McCall-Smith is a writer, whereas I am merely a parody of one. How true.
He went on to note that my style is "stale ... thick ... flimsy Kiwi twaddle". Still true. So through these pages, I'd like to thank Mr B-P for his commitment to maintaining standards of criticism and civilised discourse.
It's an interesting life being a Herald book reviewer. I've been told I'm just jealous. I've been threatened with surgical rearrangement and informed that I'm "a louse on the locks of literature" (great phrase, eh?). Then there was the unsettling occasion when one author actually thanked me for my review.
Why do I do it? Well, I get paid - and all praise to this newspaper, which is one of a dwindling number of outlets that acknowledge book reviewing is work.
I read books I might not normally choose to, which can bring unexpected felicities.
And I review because it's good for me as a writer. A parody of a writer, sorry. Reviewing makes me read analytically, almost forensically, paying attention to other practitioners' styles, skills, substance. Yes, I can still enjoy it while I do that.
Reviews are important in keeping books before the public, making them remain part of our cultural conversation. A pompous phrase, but think of how many times your attention or that of a friend has been drawn to a title by a review.
Book reviews imply that books themselves are significant, that they're worthy of a considered evaluation. They help maintain the status of the printed and online word.
They acknowledge that reading isn't a solitary activity, that as well as putting you in imaginative contact with the world and people of the pages, it puts you in contact with other people as well. They affirm that books are a communal phenomenon as well as a private possession.
Reviews, even unfavourable ones, can bring a sales boost. They're an aid to busy librarians, teachers, readers, bookshops. They reflect and affect tastes and values. Reviews have been instrumental in making some controversial works, from Lolitato New Zealander Ted Dawe's marvellous Into the River, more acceptable to the public.
If Milton was right, and a good book is the precious life-blood of a master spirit, then a book review - with a bit of luck - can offer a small transfusion. Thanks again to the Herald for acting as such a bloodbank. And, of course, for giving Mr Braddon-Parsons the chance (and the right) to review the reviewer.
David Hill is a Taranaki author and reviewer.

1 comment:

paula green said...

Bravo David!