Wednesday, March 02, 2011

BOOK LAUNCH LATEST CASUALTY IN CHRISTCHURCH EARTHQUAKE


Charlotte Randall's superlative new historical novel, Hokitika Town, should have been launched by Morrin Rout at the NG Café on Madras Street tonight. But the tragic events of the past week have meant that a book launch in the central city is impossible and author Charlotte Randall's property in central Christchurch has been completely decimated.

Speaking from Akaroa where she has decamped to with her family, Charlotte said "We are staying in a lovely place but we have no phones; our home phone still doesn't work; the road - see it on page four of today's Christchurch Press (that's right outside our house) - is undriveable. Our house is dangerous and when we go to town we spend our spare time getting bricks out of the ceiling in case they crash through on us. We had five chimneys - there are hundreds of bricks.

When we are there we have to boil water on an open fire and we can't go to the toilet. We have to park miles away. There is dust everywhere and it takes hours to bypass the steets with car-sized holes in them.
We will be moving into our garage when the power comes on!!! Not just our house but our land is ruined."

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Charlotte Randall (pic right) and all the people of Christchurch, at this sad, devastating time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I posted after a comment after David Howard's poem recently because I wanted to send my best wishes to Christchurch writers.

I am so sorry to hear Charlotte is having such difficulties.

I have read an advance copy of the book and I think it is terrific. If I were at the book launch I would stand up and say "this is one of the best books I have read in ages. It's NZ Book month so I urge you to find/buy/borrow a copy and read it! Brava!"

Paula Green

Mary McCallum said...

Oh I am such a fan of Charlotte's books - have read the lot. I just saw her latest in the bookshop today and thought 'why didn't I know about this'??? I will read it of course and celebrate it here on my own. Kia kaha, Charlotte.

Mike said...

Charlotte's Book has best known as an interesting book. I got sad when I heard about what happen by that time. I have read some of Charlotte's book and you won't regret reading it by yourself. :D