Friday, February 09, 2007

BEST SELLING COOKBOOKS

I notice in The Bookseller of 19 January they have listed the best-selling cookbooks for the 52 weeks to 30 December 2006.

Jamie Oliver has three titles in the top 20, the best represented chef/author.

The top four best-sellers were:

Cook with Jamie - Jamie Oliver

Gordon Ramsay's Sunday Lunch - Gordon Ramsay

Jamie's Italy - Jamie Oliver

The Kitchen Diaries - Nigel Slater

The great thing about the best-seller lists published in The Bookseller, and there are many of them e.g. they often divide fiction best-sellers into three or four different categories, is that you can trust them implicitly as they are collated by using the publishers computer records of net sales.

This is not the case in New Zealand and I often wonder just how valid our lists are.
I suspect they are collated using anecdotal evidence from a selection of individual booksellers. If that is the case then they are not worth the paper they are written on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've just caught up with your
website and its taken me 4 days to scroll through the whole bloody thing!!
Brilliant, keep up the good work.

I am a fan of Jamie Oliver's cookbooks because evrything I have made from them has been a success, and they are not too bloody hard for a someone like me who is a latecomer to cooking.