Thursday, December 14, 2006


REACTION TO NON-VIOLENCE BY MARK KURLANSKY WHICH I FEATURED TWO DAYS AGO

There have been five comments posted on this title to date including this particularly interesting one from Amy at Woza Books.To read the other comments scroll back to my review and click on the comments link, but here is Amy's comment for your interest.

"This is great stuff. It sounds like he is in much the same vein as UC-Berkeley Professor Michael Nagler, who wrote "Is There No Other Way? The Search for a Nonviolent Future" (for more info go to the Metta Center website--you can even listen to his classes audiostreamed at UC-Berkeley if you follow the links). I am trying to get the word out about my new children’s fantasy adventure “The Call to Shakabaz,” which teaches young people the fundamental principles of nonviolence as practiced by Dr. King and Gandhi and is a rollicking good read to boot. This book is exceptionally different because it does not depend on a gory violent battle scene for the climax. Instead it demonstrates a peaceful resolution to conflict. In addition, all the characters in the book are Black. There are very few books for children in this genre with all Black characters. The book will be officially “launched” on January 15, 2007, in honor of Dr. King’s birthday, but copies are already in print and are selling like hotcakes in my little part of the world. Children, parents, teachers, and librarians are reading this book and loving it (Bob Spear at “Heartland Reviews” identified the book as a recommended title for reluctant readers because you can’t put it down). Please help me get the word out! Visit my website at www.wozabooks.com. This book is a great way to introduce children and teens to new perspectives on the uselessness of war and the power of peaceful conflict resolution. Amy "

Posted by Amy at Woza Books to Beattie's Book Blog at 11:03 AM

Amy has asked me to get the word out so here it is. Hope this helps Amy. And in particular any children's booksellers viewing my blog should visit Amy's website and have a look for themselves.Ciao.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your review notes on Kurlansky. I also loved your promo for Franklin Road and the Harvey Benge Book Launch.

Amy at Woza Books said...

I looked back at your Blog today to see if anyone had responded to your mention of my book, but didn't notice any comments. I can't seem to find your email to me quickly to respond and am wondering if you mentioned "The Call to Shakabaz" to anyone else there in NZ. Please email me again at amy@wozabooks.com with latest news. Wishing you a great 2007. Thanks!
Amy